Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Conversations and drawings

Over dinner with SarahSweet things
Finally met up with Sarah yesterday evening! Over over-salty shellfish bisque. Sarah said she could taste the sea! And pretty dessert, the colours were so beautiful. Have you tried macaroons before? I've yet to try one. Was too full after dinner. But they were so lovely to look at! I had to sneak a shot!

Sarah and I chatted about lots of funny things. If all goes well, Sarah will be in lovely beautiful Melbourne City next year! Oh yay! : ) I cannot imagine and wait for all the fun things that I know will happen, with her around! Girl times! Yummy dessert, crafty, cooking times!

Over dinner, I gave Sarah a sea otter print and she asked how I started drawing animals and all. Especially since I'm usually drawing food items, packaging or at my easel painting glittery landscapes. I thought it was quite an interesting question...

It all started when I was asked to participate in a secret artist project. Deal was, I had to provide 6 black and white drawings. It was a real challenge for me, knowing how I love and adore colours. So I thought I'd try. I mean, never try, never know. That's my mantra really. And I guess it kind of just happened. I decided on drawing a series of woodland animals. In particular a stag. I love stags but I can never draw one. Just can't. Not sure why. But I tried for days, weeks and came up with this fella here.

And from that drawing, I realized how much I actually enjoy pushing myself like that, to do something different. To try and draw animals, knowing I cannot draw them. I tried owls, birds, bears, a sea otter, mandarin duck, and I just kept going. For the fun and love of making a mark on paper. And being able to learn fun animal facts and them translate them into drawings. All the animals I've been drawing thus far, all have this interesting fact about them!

I've been pouring through my old animal pictorial books, flipping through pages of wild mustangs, beautiful spotted animals, furry animals, all sorts really! And I've also been staring and smiling at works by these few talented artists whom I really think draw hair/fur the best!


So yes, I've arrived at a point whereby I'm really enjoying drawing and reading up on animals. Practicing and learning from the super artists. So I guess I'll just keep going, and I'll see where all these drawing takes me to!

For now, here's a drawing I'm working on right now. It's a guinea pig and a dwarf rabbit...

0 comments:

Post a Comment