Thursday, March 25, 2010

Food glorious food, wonderful food!

Half of Week 1Inspired by the love for good food and the idea of Human's obsessive compulsive consumption nature...smudgy watercolours with delicate fine inky outlines - that's what my work is about. Everyday subject matter of food and commercial packaging are transformed into whimsical sketchy-styled drawings, easily identified by any product-buying consumer.

Keeping in mind the idea of how the simple joys of eating can be degraded and deemed as binging, my current work focuses on the construction of a giant 1m tall book, documenting every single food item I have been consuming, serving as a social and public commentary as to what eating and consumption is all about in our crazy world today.

And so, the above bit's just my artist statement, a very brief description of my work and what the project is about. I wrote it for class in a record 10 minutes. So if it sounds a little off, don't mind it! So yes, I've been going into my studio daily, staying till the evenings, painting and drawing everything ( except glasses of water ) that basically gets put into my mouth. Yup, that's right. EVERYTHING.
The sushi was yuckyClose up
I love food. So much. Too much! And sometimes, apart from cooking, I feel like I need an outlet to express my love for food. So there you have it. I draw to express my love for food. I am not so sure how long this project will actually last. I'm into my 5th day and so far so good. It's tiring, but trains me to be really organized. Makes me think twice, sometimes thrice, about eating whenever I feel like it. I'm hoping I can actually last till October, so it will be really like some sort of endurance project.

So fingers crossed! Hope everything works out!
In progress

0 comments:

Post a Comment