Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Of spirits and wolves

Arctic wolf in progressWas at the city library last week and happened to come across a fun fact book on wolves. In it was a picture of a beautiful Arctic wolf. I just had to draw it. I was actually going to try to paint it large-scale, in oil or acrylics, amidst some mountains. But just thought I should practice and draw it on paper too. While drawing, I was reminded of works by these few amazing artists, whose work I look up to and try to learn from. They are seriously so good!

You see, I was rather amazed at how wolves can survive the freezing cold winter temperatures with just their thick coat of fur. I started thinking of winter animals, eskimos and the whole ancient thing about seeking wisdom from animal spirits. It's strange but during the same week, I came across おくりびと Okuribito, a Japanese film by Yojiro Takita. The film deals with death and about sending the dearly departed on his final journey. So I thought, how strange, what's with the whole death and spirits thing in the same week. But anyway, the movie is really good. Watch it if you can.

In other news, I've been working on quite a few projects now it's becoming a little crazy since 1/2 of the ideas I have don't really work. Still trying to figure out what's best! But I'll be sure to post snippets of the tiny progress works!

Oh and I've been invited to take part in an art swap. I need to look for some crafters/artists/creative type friends who are willing to take part too. Basically you send 1 piece of handmade art/print/sewn goodie and you get 36 pieces of art in return! So if you are the creative sort, and would love to play along, please do email me! Thanks! : )

0 comments:

Post a Comment