Friday, May 14, 2010

Next Wave!

Structural IntergrityStructural IntegrityStructural Integrity
Last night, Darren and I were lucky enough to be able to attend Next Wave's Invite only-opening. (Being a Next Wave volunteer does have it's perks!) In case you don't know what Next Wave is all about, it's basically this huge emerging arts festival! Dance, theatre, visual art, sculpture, multi-art, screen art, new media projects, and it's all happening throughout the month of May, all over Melbourne. You can check out their programe/website here.

Anyway, back to the opening, there were so many people around, it was crazy! To think we went just half an hour before it closed! The opening coincided with the opening of the festival's keynote project - Structural Integrity. You guys should all go check it out. I think it's ace! My favourite work was this cardboard crystal sculpture. The entire construction just amazes me. I could stand there all night just admiring it!
Structural Integrity
You have to just see it for yourself. My picture does the work no justice at all!
Structural IntegrityStructural Integrity
All that hype aside, Darren and I managed to meet and have a chat with one of the international artist who came from Manila. And he took this little photo for us. Thank you!
Structural Intergrity
After the opening, we popped by the after-party, which was located at 1000 £ Bend-The official festival club.
Next Wave Festival Club
Next Wave Festival Club
Did you know, as a volunteer, I helped the designers set up the entire place? See those white flag-like backdrop? I painted some of the icons in! And I did the Next Wave logo too. It was lots of fun, minus the freezing temperatures in the heater-less warehouse! Haha. I'm looking forward to going for more Next Wave events, especially these two! And come Monday, I'll be helping to set up stuff for this event. Wow, Lots of good fun art stuff happening in Melbourne this May! And as an artist, I can only be happier.

Oh and one more thing before I go off to enjoy the weekend, I'm part of this group show in Canada that opens tomorrow/Saturday! Do drop by if you live around the area, and take lots of photos for me! Wish I could be there!

0 comments:

Post a Comment