Sunday, September 19, 2010

Homemade Minestrone Soup!

Homemade Minestrone!
Crappy phone photo but look what I made for lunch! You know, I really do not like minestrone soup at all. Simply because all the ones I've had so far, come mostly from the can. And those taste yuck! I never ever liked it at all, and don't ever crave for it. But last Friday, I watched Jaimie Oliver cook up some really yummy looking minestrone soup. So just thought I'd give it a try since Darren likes it. I find it funny because I always associate Minestrone Soup with my dad for some reason. I think he likes it.

Anyway, the thing is, I didn't write down Jaimie's recipe, and I couldn't remember what or how he did it. So I decided to just come up with my own version. Just thought I'd share the recipe, in case any of you Minestrone soup haters out there, need a change in mindsets about the disgusting soup. Enjoy!

Homemade Minestrone Soup:
6 Cloves garlic smashed
2 Red onions
4 Carrots
4 Stalks Celery
2 Cups Frozen peas
2 Chunks Gravy Beef ( or any amount you want, really )
1 Parsnip
4 Tomatoes
2 Potatoes
1 zucchini
1 Packet Bacon
1 Packet small shell pasta
1l Chicken stock
1.5l water
1 bunch Basil
1 jar Red Wine and Basil tomato pasta sauce
Few sprigs Thyme, or 4 tbs Thyme from the jar
*Dice up/chop every ingredient/vegetable. 



In a big pot, heat good amount of olive oil till hot, add red onions, garlic, fats off the beef, beef, and bacon. When onions turn somewhat transparent, add carrots and parsnip. Fry for approx 3 minutes, add celery, potatoes, peas, zucchini, tomatoes, thyme. Turning and adding a bit more oil if vegetables start sticking to the pot. 


Fry for 5 minutes, add chicken stock, water, pasta sauce, pasta and basil. Cover and simmer till cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for an extra 5 minutes. Before serving, drizle over soup, a bit of extra virgin olive oil, and some shaved parmesan or pecorino if you like cheese. If not, just he soup's fine too!

Enjoy and let me know, if you make it! : )
x

0 comments:

Post a Comment