Friday, September 3, 2010

Sculpture Collection

Food collectionTable MessIt's getting crowded in here!
My studio's getting way too crowded, with all my soft sculptures overtaking my studio space. In case you're wondering what the red one on the table is, it's going to become a Cheese Ritz box! I've been busy sewing like a frazzled artist, hiding behind my sewing machine from morning till evening. It's crazy and tiring! But I'm loving every minute of it. It's kind of fun, in a weird way I guess. It's addictive!

Anyway, a lot of you have been emailing me to ask what's up with all my sculptures and why I'm making them. Well, firstly, they are made large to represent their power over us, the product-buying, packaging-influenced consumers. I think it's amazing how over the decades, the concept of consumption and food has revolved into this whole giant GM, packaged industry. Have you ever walked around in a supermarket where it's almost 85% packaged food, as opposed to 'natural foods'? Wasn't food meant to be all natural and organic? But then again, who doesn't buy packaged food? I know I do. In fact, I buy packaged food all the time because I'm drawn to it's packaging. Now, anyone here identify with me? So yes, these sculptures serve as my personal commentary to the whole idea of consumption and it's my take on what food really is, in our world today.

Hope that bit there helped you to understand my work a bit better. It's late and I'm sleepy so it's bit 'all over the place'. So I hope you get the idea. Alright, this post was meant to be short but I got carried away. Oops! Have a great weekend everyone!
x

0 comments:

Post a Comment