Monday, February 7, 2011

Trying To Stay Positive

I first saw this a couple of weeks back on Evie's blog, and I really enjoyed it. I saw it again yesterday on Sarah's blog. It is indeed such an inspiring video on so many levels. I have it saved on my laptop. And watch it over and over again whenever I feel crappy making art or when things don't go as planned. This morning, I watched this video 6 times. I knitted while watching/listening to it on loop.

I was sad and angry and just disappointed to know that I couldn't do anything about my designs being stolen. If you don't already know, a shop in Singapore's Haji Lane is selling tops with my work on them. My sister traced the shop down yesterday and found out the shirts were going for $20 each. That's a lot of money for art that's stolen. I cannot imagine the profit they are earning and that I don't even get a mention, needless to say, a single cent.

As if things can't get any worse, we found out from the shop lady that the shirts were bought in bulk, wholesale from Chatuchak Market in Thailand. I was already aware of this Thai shop selling tops with my art, thanks to a blog reader who alerted me about it a few months ago. Back then I knew I couldn't do anything about it. And was just hoping that since it's a small shop, fine, whatever. It's not like it's going to go anywhere else other than within Thailand right? So I just tried to be ok with it. But I was wrong. Turns out this Thai shop is not only selling it on their racks, but also 'exporting' and selling it wholesale to shops from outside of Thailand. And this Singaporean shop just happens to be one of them. I don't know how many shops out there are selling it now. But it pains me to know I cannot do anything else but just sit back and watch it go. The thai shop stole not only one but 5 of my designs. ( I think it's 5, there might be more ) I am sad that I'm struggling here, trying to make a living out of my practice. Waking up everyday, finding jobs, feeling disheartened 80% of the time, working 24/7 thinking of how to make better art, pushing myself so hard and yet there you have it. Someone just goes and rips it all out and they probably earn more than I do now. Just from stealing what's mine.

I think being able to make a living as an artist is indeed a gift. And I am lucky I can even call myself an artist. But if shops and companies just go around stealing from us, what's left is just a whole bunch of unhappy artists feeling discouraged, with some even giving up totally on what they love to do. Not sure about you, but I really cannot imagine a world without handmade craft and goodness. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment