Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cave home House Tour!

DSC_0762DSC_0466
One of my personal highlights throughout my Turkey holiday was when I visited this elderly couple's cave home! I'm all for beautiful homes in unexpected places. I've often dreamt of living up in a tree, or in a hut by the beach. Or maybe even in a cosy house made out of logs, right in the middle of a lush forest. Anyway, who would have thought one could live in a cave?! I never ever thought that's even remotely possible. I mean I know we've got our cavemen ancestors from long dinosaur years ago. They did live in caves after all. But knowing someone living in a cave in today's modern world?! That really sounded impossible. So here I am today, sharing with all of you the cute unit 18! ( Yes they have a unit number! )

Belonging to one of Kapadokya's/the world's last still-in use cave home! Not sure when, but pretty sure it was decades ago, the Turkish government came up with a ban stating that these caves were not safe for living in and that everyone had to move out. But of course a few elderly couples disregarded the law and till today, still live in these cave homes! Most of these still-lived in cave homes are now modernised. The one we visited even had PVC windowsills and toilets. They lead pretty normal lives, they have cable tv and a great stove, just no wifi! Hah.
DSC_0727DSC_0718DSC_0713
DSC_0716
Kitchen details. I especially love their fridge! SF! Who would've thought! The elderly couple have been living in this cave home for almost all their life. The husband carved it from scratch a long time ago and they've been living here together as a couple all their married life. They've got kids who are now adults and  they live and work in the larger cities like Istanbul and Ankara.
DSC_0702DSC_0697Turkey-Kapadokya Home Tour
DSC_0700DSC_0704
My favourite room was their bedroom! 10 times better than any of the hotels we stayed at! So bright and airy. With lots of plants! And yes, they've also got a panoramic view to boot! It looks tiny but it's actually pretty decent-sized and big enough for a couple!
Kapadokya Home TourKapadokya Home Tour
Amazing bedroom view. Sorry my iphone picture does it no justice at all! Note the modern PVC window. Haha. Cute! And also a picture of their very cute cave window sill! I didn't take any photos of their toilet. Didn't want to invade that much of their privacy. But just imagine a modernised PVC toilet with proper plumbing system and all. How did they manage to do it and link it all up in a cave? Who knows!
DSC_0708
DSC_0710DSC_0688
Interesting knick knacks in their home. I don't know the story behind the tortoises, but I found them cute! Maybe they were bored and the husband decided to draw some tortoises so thew wife could colour them in? Husband and wife activity maybe? Hmmm.
Kapadokya Home TourKapadokya Home TourDSC_0693
Some iPhone photos which I took to post on Instagram! Seen here is the couple's living room. It can seat up to 30 and more. I think it can fit 40! That's if some of us sit on their carpet. Considering there were 28 of us! I'm pretty sure we could fit 10 more!
DSC_0737
DSC_0758DSC_0745DSC_0734DSC_0721
Our local guide chatting with the wife of the house. DIY broomstick, handmade chair rug, super lovely hand knitted socks - made by the wife of course! She spends her time hand knitting, weaving and cross stitching little bits to place at local shops. Her skills are pretty amazing. We don't understand each other but we both ended up 'talking' about knitting! She could tell from a distance my scarf was machine-made! Haha. And you should see the ribbons and trims you made. I forgot to take a photo!
DSC_0742
I was so excited when I was at this cute couple's home. Unfortunately, due to language barriers and my sheer state of excitement trying to take it all in, I forgot to remember their names. Oops!See how tiny they are! My sister and I looked like giants standing next to them. Thank you so much cute couple for opening up your home and wanting to make 30 cups of Turkish tea!

0 comments:

Post a Comment