Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What I miss

:DWe read two books todayMy favourite but scarily big 2pm classI wanted to kill these kids todayMy new Wednesday ClassThey did little aliens!Wednesday with Oil paintsP1010003Saturday Sundaes!The friendly lion goes to the circusDaryl and Damien's TotesFriday love
I used to teach kids all day long. We built spaceships, grew paper flowers, turned our hands black with charcoal drawings, became all oily with oil paints, read funny stories together, printed hand prints on my apron, cut out ferocious lions, drew sweet princesses, and told each other lame jokes. Some of the kids even taught me Japanese and French. Haha. The kids used to laugh so hard just because they found it funny that I allowed them to call me 'Teacher Dawn-key/Donkey', Teacher koko krunch, Miss Sunshine. I found it funny too. And I was glad I was in a way their friend. Of course, teaching wasn't always easy, I've had to work 9 hour shifts. Teaching young kids, covered in paint, glue in your hair, talking non-stop for 9 hours. Not sure if you've tried that before. But every time I went home, I wouldn't want to talk anymore simply because my mouth was too tired. I've had kids who cried the entire 1 1/2 hours, kids who hid in closets, who were so rude and rolled their eyes at you and say mean things, kids who decided art was boring and would spend the entire class playing catch, kids who would pick fights with the day-dreamy kids. But all in all, I still love these kids. They are special in their own ways. And I think teaching wouldn't be fun without all these funny incidents. It's been about 2 years since I last taught these kids. I sometimes wonder if they still remember me and the things I thought them. I wonder where they are now.

One day soon, I hope to teach little kids art again. I hope to open a little studio and be able to share with them my passion and my love for art. In the meantime, I should really look for places who need children art teachers, volunteers. If you do know of any, let me know. Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment