Friday, August 13, 2010

Russell's Old Corner Shop

Homemade soup and toastRussells Old Corner ShopTiny salt and pepper shakers
Not sure if you've been to this lovely corner shop before. If you live in Melbourne, you might have. It's at the corner around La Trobe and the Flagstaff Gardens. I went there on Thursday, with Sarah. I had a plate of warm home made vegetable soup. It was kind of nice and hearty. George, the old man who runs the shop, was so sweet, he offered us hot drinks and cookies on the house. It was a really interesting experience because halfway through, the phone rang and we had to go answer it. George said 'Would you lovely girls mind if I get you to help answer the call? I need to watch the soup. It might burn! Thanks!' And then not long later through our meal, George asked if we were alright in the shop alone, for he had to go get his wife from the salon. It was kind of cute how he left us girls alone in the shop, with his super fluffy pomeranian, while he went to get his wife. I think it's such a beautiful thing, the fact that he actually trusts us strangers so much. I mean, leaving us alone in his shop/home.

I think if you are ever around the area, you should drop by and say hi. I think they are a wee bit lonely. And when nice strangers come in and say hi, it makes them smile. My friend Lydia made a documentary on the shop and the owners before. You might like to take a look at some of the photos she shot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment