Monday, November 9, 2009

Today, I share with you my love for food

Yesterday evening, I decided I had to get away from art making, so I went to bake. I baked cookies for the house and secretly popped them on pretty plates in both my flatmate's rooms.
I made cookies for my housemates yesterdayI made cookies for my housemates yesterday
This morning I watched this little film and fell in love with it! The idea of blogging your entire adventure of mastering the art of French cooking in a year, that's just crazy but at the same time, sounds like something I would do! I'm serious! You guys know how I love challenging myself to do crazy things, like drawing everything I consume in a day, all the food I eat in a week, writing down all my thoughts in a single morning, I've done all that!
Julie & JuliaJulie & Julia
There's just something so powerful about being able to take up a challenge you know it's crazy to do, and you keep telling yourself, "You're just kidding right?" but you know you're not. And at the end of it, you complete this crazy insane project and you go " Woohoo! You're mad but you know, you did it! ".

Anyway, my best friend emailed me the other day and told me she kept thinking of me when she watched the movie. Now I know why. I feel so much like Julie Powell sometimes, it's not funny. But it's alright, I know at the end of the day, I have a strong funny endearing man I can come home to. And he eats whatever I cook. Like how he ate my failed poached egg on Sunday. I've been trying to poach an egg, but it's so tough! We don't have an egg poacher, so I do it the Julia Child way. Just hot water, 1 fresh egg and a wooden spoon! But let's just say, it turned out exactly like how I would not want it to be. Haha.

Let me tell you something funny, I used to be a disaster in the kitchen. All my friends would laugh at me and say mean jokes. I knew they were joking, but it hurt, considering how much effort I put into the stuff I try to cook. I remember having to put out countless fires. My spaghetti, vegetables, they've all caught fire. Yes I know. My tiramisu would flow straight out of my plate, etc. But you see, I love to eat. And I would not stand spending so much money on every meal, so I decided to learn to cook. Poor Darren went through stomach hell!
Cooking disaster 2 years agoCooking disaster 2 years ago
You know, I used to eat my steak off my chopping board. It was so stiff and so overdone, I had to throw it away. I'd cook only vegetable soup and Japanese curry all the time, cause that was the only two dishes I dared to serve others. Darren ate so much of both he still freaks out a bit when I say " Japanese curry for dinner? "

But yes, over the past year I think I've made it to a point of being able to throw a good dinner party with my guests leaving happy as a pea. So that's good!
Yum!In the Master Chef kitchen last night
Anyway, point of this post was just to tell you how much I love cooking. And will never stop doing so. This summer break, I intend to cook cook cook and write write write and come up with a little illustrated cookbook of my own favourite easy peasy recipes! And you all know how much I love drawing the food I eat right? So you can expect to see this little tiny colourful book!

Alright, time to start preparing dinner. Thai green curry tonight. Yum!
What are you cooking for dinner tonight?

: )
Ham and sundried tomatoes with herb and olive oil tossed spaghetti

0 comments:

Post a Comment